Thursday, April 7, 2022

A Little Girl, A Ball and An Indoor Pool

Before moving from the Concord area, I was searching for a home to rent in another town. I did not want to be in the same town as my now ex husband due to all of the bad mouthing and the lies he was telling every one, our clients and our mutual friends. I didn't even want to go anywhere in the area anymore, plus, I honestly wanted a fresh start. 
- The back story to this, can be found here

 So, I found a house to rent in Gilford NH.

The house appeared perfect and almost too good to be true (and you know what they say). The house had five bedrooms, 3 full baths and a ¾ bath in the family room, a huge wrap around 2 tier deck, 3 stall garage, a wet bar, an indoor, heated pool, a sauna and a tennis court. It was built in the 70”s and was probably the show house of the neighborhood in it's day.

They landlord was renting it out for under $1850 per month. Great deal right?

Well, he actually had it up for sale but he was having a hard time selling it, so he decided to rent it instead. We went to see the property, fell in love with it and I handed my new landlord a security deposit and first month's rent. Right then and there, he decided to rent to us, so we signed the lease.

Wow! After everything my kids had been through, maybe this house could provide a great new beginning for them.

We are all excited, fast forward a couple of weeks and its moving day!!

We picked up the truck, we had help to move, we pack up the big truck and we head out for our new beginning.

 As we are pulling into the circular driveway, I noticed someone in one of the three garages.

I knew it wasn't my new landlord because he had left that morning to go back to Florida. The truck gets parked, my son puts a block under two of the wheels, and when I get out of my car

(I was following them) I am immediately greeted by a man. He is about 42 years old. He asks me if he can speak to me in private.

I agree, I ask who he is and why he is in my new garage. He told me that his father, who is my new landlord told him he could live in the garage.  Live out of my garage? This is really odd to me. My life just gets stranger by the day I swear. The man told me that he would pay me $225 per month, but he decided that because his father owned the house and had told him that he could stay, he decided that he was not leaving. He said that if I had an issue with it, I could take it up with his father who BTW he said wanted me to call him ASAP anyway. This is no joke, I assure you this really happened. But, this was just the beginning.

I had already had the phone and all utilities switched over before we moved in, so despite that the people and my younger kids who were helping us move, were already moving things into the house, I personally had not yet gone inside, and my mom was still waiting in the car.

So, I go get my mom, we walk in and I tell my mom that our new landlord wanted me to call him, so she can either wait for me to show her around or she could go look around herself.

I called my new landlord and he immediately said, I wanted to make sure that you knew that you can't use the pool under any circumstances.

In fact he said, I would like it if you could go buy a lock for the door, install it and … send me the keys.

I was shocked and my heart is now racing. I have his son here refusing to leave, planning on living in my garage  and now we can't use the pool? I said wait a minute, before we even talk about that, why is your son living in my garage and why would you give him permission, when I'm renting the house?

I said we had never discussed this at all.

My new landlord said that it was a last minute decision because he (my landlord) was leaving to go back to Florida, he would not allow his son to go and live with him, and his son had no place to stay, so he had no choice but to give him the garage.

 Is this a joke I thought?

He then switches the conversation back to the pool and said that his insurance company won't allow him to rent to people who will use the pool. He then said, while we are on this subject, I also placed a lock on the sauna. You can't use that either and you should probably know, the plumbing for the wet bar has been disconnected, so it's not usable.

All of the major reasons why I chose this house to rent were all taken away.

I was so upset at this point. But, what could I do?

New people were moving into my last house, the utilities are now in my name for this house and all of our things are here in this truck, currently being unloaded.  Looking back, I know that's why the new landlord waited for me to arrive at the house to tell me these things. I had just spoke to him the night before to confirm that we were moving in the next day, and he didn't mention anything.

We literally just moved almost 30 minutes away, to a new town, to a house that I believed would be a great fit for my kids and here he is pulling out the carpet on everything.

 So, I told him that I expected a deduction in rent, and he said no, a lease is a lease.

 I said all of the things that were in the lease, are now off limits to me, I should get a reduction in rent.

He disagreed and said it wasn't his fault that the insurance company wouldn't allow us to use the pool and sauna, and he said that his son will be paying me $225 per month so no he wasn't going to reduce the rent.

I hang up the phone, and despite that I don't want to ruin everyone's excitement, I had to give them the news.

 I go into the living room and I notice that my kids and the people helping us are in the pool room which was directly off of the living room, and they were all staring at … an empty pool. He had even drained it before he left!

But, this is only part of the story.

As I began to approach the pool room, you could see it through a huge window in the living room from most directions, and a feeling of dread came over me. Not because of what I had to tell my family, this was a physical feeling that I was experiencing that made me feel that there was something terrible inside the pool room.

I entered the pool room, and I got super heavy. My legs felt heavy to walk, my forward motion seemed hard to push through and I kept feeling like I wanted to look to the right side wall of the deep end of the pool.  It was a very narrow walk way on that side between the pool and the wall, maybe a little less than  10 inches wide, it led to the diving board and I forbid my kids from going over there.

It was really quite odd, but I had a feeling that I knew why I was feeling what I was feeling and what it meant, but I would not tell anyone until I either experienced something else or had done some research on the house.

So, my kids are asking why the pool is drained and I deliver the news about not being able to use the pool and the sauna to everyone in the pool room, and of course they are all mad. But, to at least lighten the load, I offer to buy a bunch of pizza, and the kids and I could talk about it later or figure something out.  I just wanted all of us to get the hell out of that pool room.

We finish unloading the truck, we had eaten pizza and by now it's almost 9pm. The people who had helped us were leaving and my son decides to go take a shower.

Nope, not in the bathroom next to his room anyway, that shower was broke. No water would come out. But it did at least have a usable sink and toilet.  The bathroom was pretty to look at though.

My son then heads for the second bathroom which is next to my youngest daughters bedroom, nope no water there either. In fact, the only working plumbing in that bathroom was also the sink and the toilet, but the sink had a large bucket under it and was leaking like crazy.  So, my son goes up into the 3rd full bath which was in the master bedroom. Wallah, turns out it was the only working shower and bath tub in the whole house.

When I called my landlord the next day to complain, I was directed to his son who now lived in my garage, and never repaired anything in the eighteen months we lived there.

We did eventually learn through a person who was a former maintenance person at the house for my landlord, that the pool had not worked in six years, the sauna had been broke for four years and the plumbing for the wet bar was removed ( not disconnected) also about four years ago.

So this guy was basically a scam artist. There was nothing we could really do at this point, so we will live here until we find another house.  This house had a two tier porch that ran the length of the back of the house and had six sets of sliding glass doors; 4 in the pool room, 1 in the dining room / kitchen and 1 in my mom's bedroom.

Well, when I would go from the living room up to the kitchen / dining room I would often see what looked like a ball rolling across the deck all the way to the other side, and sometimes I could faintly hear what sounded like giggling.

I remember one day in detail, I saw a little girl in a dress playing with a ball and giggling on that deck. I told my mother and she had never seen or heard anything, and she was often on her deck outside of her bedroom when she would smoke.

To get to my bedroom, you would have to pass the huge glass window that looked into the pool room which was not at all pleasant at night. The pool room was dark and creepy, so I put up super large, dark burgundy curtains to cover that window.  Then, up in my bedroom (the master bedroom) there was another large window that over looked the indoor pool.  That friggen window always gave me the creeps just like the one in the living room, so I blocked it up with curtains too.

One day, my oldest daughter came to check out the house. She had not yet been there so she was excited to see it. Mind you, my daughter had no knowledge of what I was experiencing in that house, I hadn't talked to her at all since moving in.

 My daughter came up into the dining room / kitchen and immediately said to me; “There is a little girl on your porch playing with a ball and she keeps looking at me”.  She said; “Ma, she died here”.

It wasn't too surprising since I knew what I was experiencing, but given how the pool room made me feel, I had already assumed that something happened specifically in the pool room.  Before leaving, my daughter asked me if I was going to do some research and if  I decided to, she wanted to know what I found. She gave me a hug, a kiss and put a cross on my forehead and she went home.

The next day, I couldn't help it, I went and got as much information as I could about the house, and this is what I found:

 A Pilot and his wife purchased the home in the 1970's. The couple had a party on the property and their 2 year old daughter entered the families indoor pool area alone, and fell into the pool.

By the time someone realized and got to her, sadly, she had already drown.       


So, I called my daughter to let her know, despite that we both new something had happened, it made it that much more sad to confirm what it was.

To date, three of my girls and myself can feel and sense things that most people can't, and we can see deceased people, it doesn't matter were we go, if or when they are there.


More short stories available in my book; No One Would Believe It











No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments